What Is A Pallet? How Many Types of Pallets Are There On The Market?
In the current era, the logistics industry is growing strongly, leading to an increasing need to store goods in warehouses. In particular, pallets are always an effective assistant for moving, arranging and storing large quantities of goods. So what are pallets? What types of pallets are there on the market today? Let's learn everything about pallets with Au Viet Rack in the following article!
What are pallets?
Pallet is an item with a flat structure used to place underneath packages of goods when goods are transported and stored. Goods can be fixed to the pallet with PE film, pallet wrap net, cam lock straps and pallet elastic straps.
Pallets are used to support goods
Today, pallets play a very important role in the logistics industry and appear in most storage warehouses. Combined with all types of forklifts, hoists or transport equipment, pallets help arrange warehouses scientifically and promote faster movement of goods.
Uses of pallets in storing goods
Although it is only a small item in the warehouse, pallets bring many benefits such as:
- Easily move goods to many locations such as containers, warehouse floor, racking systems...
- Goods are packed into bales and securely fixed on pallets. Therefore, using pallets helps minimize the risk of goods falling while moving.
- Freeing up manual labor: palletized packages will be transported by forklifts or other lifting equipment, so workers no longer have to carry each small unit of goods, wasting a lot of energy.
- Save time: using pallets allows moving large volumes of goods at the same time.
- Anti-mold for goods: pallets are high enough to lift the entire package upward, so that the goods do not come into direct contact with the ground, avoiding mold and moisture from the floor contaminating the goods.
- Some types of pallets can be liquidated or reused for other purposes after a long period of use.
Pallets bring countless benefits in logistics
Standard dimensions of pallets
The following are standard sizes widely applied in pallet production today:
- Length 1200 x Width 1000 x Height 130 (mm)
- Length 1100 x Width 1100 x Height 150 (mm)
- Length 1000 x Width 1300 x Height 130 (mm)
- Length 1200 x Width 800 x Height 150 (mm)
- Length 1200 x Width 1000 x Height 150 (mm)
- Length 1200 x Width 1200 x Height 150 (mm)
However, businesses do not need to worry if their packages are larger or smaller than the standard pallet size because the market today has many reputable pallet manufacturers that produce pallets based on customer requirements.
How many types of pallets are there on the market today?
Pallets are manufactured from many different materials and different designs to meet all storage needs in the warehouse.
Classify pallets by material
On the market today, pallets are made from four main materials: paper, plastic, wood, and steel.
Paper pallets are made from many layers of paper pressed together with glue. The majority of paper raw materials are reused paper, from sawdust and used wood, processed through many stages to produce raw products. Then press the paper and glue the sheets together into a pallet block with special glue. Therefore, paper pallets still have high rigidity that are enough to meet the needs of storing light goods under 200kg.
Advantages of paper pallets:
- Paper pallets are very light, easy to move and arrange by manual.
- The price of paper pallets is the cheapest among all types of pallets.
- Production does not follow a specific size, so there is no limit to size and design.
- Because of their low cost, paper pallets can be used to export goods and are disposable.
- No need for fumigation, helping to shorten customs clearance time for goods.
- Made from recycled paper so it's environmentally friendly.
Paper pallets are cheap and convenient, serving short-term needs
Disadvantages of paper pallets:
- Vulnerable to mold in an environment with high humidity.
- Cannot hold heavy items.
- Cannot be cleaned because it cannot withstand water.
- Less durable than other types of pallets (about a few months)
- Easily damaged and deformed if there is a collision.
Wooden pallets are made from three main types of wood: Acacia wood, Rubber wood, and Pine wood. Before plastic pallets appeared, wooden pallets were the most used of all types of pallets.
Advantages of wooden pallets:
- Cheap price, only higher than paper pallets.
- The hardness of wooden pallets is quite good, able to withstand light to medium heavy goods.
- Manufactured in all sizes.
- Can be produced on request in small quantities.
- When a wooden pallet is broken in any part, it can be repaired.
- Because of its low value, it is also used to export medium-heavy goods abroad.
- When no longer in use, wooden pallets are reused to make many useful items.
Wooden pallets are easy to produce in small quantities
Disadvantages of wooden pallets:
- Vulnerable to mold, termites, and water.
- Difficult to clean.
- Durability is quite poor, can be used for 1-2 years, and needs to be replaced many times.
- Easily flammable, so you must pay regular attention to fire prevention in the warehouse.
Plastic pallets can be made from recycled plastic or virgin plastic, used to hold medium to heavy goods. Plastic pallets are used for long-term storage of goods and can be used in frozen storage, cool storage or high humidity storage. Currently, plastic pallets are gradually replacing the position of wooden pallets to become the most commonly used type of pallet.
Advantages of plastic pallets:
- Plastic pallets have high hardness and can hold heavy goods.
- Water resistant, easy to clean.
- Moisture-proof, termite-proof.
- More durable than paper and wooden pallets, with a lifespan of 2 to 3 years.
Plastic pallets are easy to use and can hold heavy goods
Disadvantages of plastic pallets:
- The price is higher than wooden and paper pallets.
- Lifespan is many times lower than steel pallets.
Steel pallets are made from high quality steel materials with many different surface treatments to increase durability. This type of pallet is ideal for storing medium to very heavy goods. Steel pallets can also be used in all types of warehouses, from normal to harsh environments.
Advantages of steel pallets:
- Extremely sturdy, can withstand goods from 500 kg to several tons on a pallet.
- Very durable, average lifespan is 10 to 15 years.
- Can be produced according to any size requested by customers.
- Not moldy, water resistant, easy to clean.
- Non-flammable, reducing the risk of fire.
- Steel materials can be liquidated or sold to recover costs when steel pallets are no longer usable.
Super durable steel pallets are specialized for storing heavy goods
Disadvantages of steel pallets:
- Steel pallets are very heavy, so the movement and arrangement will depend entirely on the forklift.
- The price of steel pallets is higher than other pallets.
Classification of pallets by design shape
In addition to different materials, steel pallets also have many different designs such as:
- 1-sided pallet with 2 lifting directions
- 1-sided pallet with 4 lifting directions
- 2-sided pallet with 4 lifting directions
1-sided pallet with 2 lifting directions
1-sided pallet with 4 lifting directions
2-sided pallet with 4 lifting directions
Above are the characteristics and uses of the most popular pallets today. In general, each type has its own advantages and disadvantages and will be suitable for different needs. Consider the needs of the business to choose the most suitable pallet!
>>> Find out now: How much does the steel pallet cost?